Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I am Woman, Hear Me Roar!


So a week after former US President Bill Clinton negotiates the release of two American journalists from China, and is heralded as a hero, his wife, once again getting the short end of the stick.

Shortly after arriving in Congo, Africa, US Secretary of State Hilliary Clinton responded to questions at a press conference. One question was regarding a financial situation and ended with "What does President Clinton think about this?"

Now, the history book has not been kind to Hilliary. From her personal appearance, to her ambition and noteworthy career, there hasn't been a lot of kindness thrown her way. I never really took note until this week, when news broke about this "outburst."

In a nutshell, she states, "My husband is not the Secretary of State, I am. If you want to find out what I think, ask me, but I'm not going to channel my husband." I may have ad libbed a bit - but the point there.

Now she's being raked over the coals for her response....

I ask, Why?

She's worked her entire life for this position and save for a couple of missteps in the election process, the US may well have had their first Female President. So to have the question posed to her in reference to her husband is not only insulting to her, it's a slam to all women. She restated the question as she heard it - no one corrected it - and as far as she could tell, the translator had accurately communicated the student's query.

It's like "So, thanks for coming down honey, but tell us, what does the Big Dog think??"

I'd be more than annoyed too.

Yes, Bill Clinton is a great guy. Fairly popular President. He's a real hit with the ladies too. Hillary has had to endure a lot to ensure his success and, in the long run, her own. I can imagine the conversation in the Clinton kitchen when she decided to for President was that this is the "Hilliary Era".

It likely doesn't help that Bubba gets pulled out for all of the profile events (nothing like saving damsels in distress). But you can't blame a girl for getting her feathers ruffled.

And pointing out the obvious was called for. It's not like she swore at the student or insulted him/her.

Can't say I'd be as diplomatic in the same situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment