Monday, February 1, 2010

Can't We All Just Get Along??


I'll admit it - I'm a do-er.


If something is left undone, I want to make it "done". If you need help with something, I would be glad to lend a hand. REALLY not keen on the glory aspect of things - you don't have to show me a lot of appreciation - just a sincere thanks or honest gesture will keep me happy.


Which is why I'm struggling so much right now.


A group of our hockey parents are trying to co-ordinate and host a hockey tournament in two weeks. We have had a couple of meetings to iron out details and I'm starting to see a dangerous trend - undermining and questioning.


There's not a lot to demand of people - donate a prize ($20 each or 2 for $10 each) and bring a couple of grocery items - costing no more than $20. Donate an hour or two of your time to help staff the kitchen and you are done.


But some people feel the need to question why.


Why??


Because, in my opinion, there are people who "do" and people who "would rather not". The WRN people hang back and let the Doers have at'er. When they are actually pulled in to action, they do so reluctantly - with reservations and in the end, it's likely not worth the effort and disruption of engaging them.


So now, after two organizational meetings, we have a couple of people who are questioning the decision made this far. (Have I mentioned WRN people don't like or simply don't attend meetings - falls under the WRN charter.) What they DO like to do is throwing a wrench in things. By definition, this prevents any further "doing".


"Ha, HA! We showed THEM!"


Sadly, the world is suffering from a serious lack of Doers. More and more it seems Doers are succumbing to the negative effects of WRNs as well as exhaustion and under appreciation. Thankfully, there seems to be a new crop of Doers each year, but not in the same numbers as WRNs.


I have tried to stay neutral - the Switzerland of this issue - as my role of Team Manager is such that I don't want to get dragged into a parental sandbox fight when there is a couple of months left in the season. If need be - yes, I'll have to intervene - but until then, I can only hope people will step back and realize it takes a village to feed a hockey team!


No comments:

Post a Comment